The beverage industry provides a variety of convenient packaging options. However, packaging is more than just an attractive bottle or can. It protects the integrity of the product, ensures safety and long shelf life, provides valuable information to consumers, and minimizes waste from spoilage or damage.
The beverage industry produces packaging materials in the most efficient way possible to minimize the environmental impact. This means using less packaging whenever possible, using recycled materials in packages and using materials that can be recycled by consumers. We employ these same principles for not only our bottles and cans, but also for the packaging we use to protect, transport and display our beverages.
American Beverage Association members support five packaging principles consistent with our commitment to environmental stewardship:
- Use recyclable or reusable packaging whenever feasible
- Design packaging for recyclability
- Design packaging that requires less material to conserve natural resources
- Explore ways to incorporate recycled materials into packaging and other products
- Label packaging in a manner that helps educate consumers on proper waste management